August 1918, The Franklin County Board of Education
approved a petition from the residents of the Village
of Upper Arlington to recognize Upper Arlington
as a new school district. At that time the village
was bounded by what is now Lane Avenue, Riverside
Drive, Fifth Avenue and North Star Road.
school board was appointed by the county superintendent
of schools and John W. Wuichet Sr. was
named president. One of the first actions for
the new school officials was to authorize the
construction of a four-room temporary school.
It was built at the corner of Arlington Avenue
and Tremont Road from parts of barracks left behind
from Camp Willis. Fifty-two students enrolled
in the school, which taught first through ninth
and Ben Thompson, the forward thinking brothers
behind the development of Upper Arlington, were
committed to education. In 1917, Prior to the
construction of the frame schoolhouse, King Thompson's
basement at 1930 Cambridge Boulevard was being
used as a school for more than a dozen children
in first through third grade. (Children in upper
grades attended Grandview Heights.)
was the Thompson brothers through their company,
the Upper Arlington Company, who put up the funds
necessary to build the temporary school for all
the children in the village. The school was completed
and opened for class in October 1918.
Board of Education named its secretary-treasurer,
Evan L. Mahaffey, as the first superintendent
of the school district.
financial burden of running a school district
not fulfilled by local taxes during that school
year was assumed by the Upper Arlington Company.
generosity of King and Ben Thompson continued.
The men were instrumental in establishing the
Waltham Road School, which replaced the
temporary school in 1919.
Arlington seemed to be doing very well. However,
the new district faced deferment. Columbus threatened
to take control over the village, because without
a permanent school building, Upper Arlington was
not meeting the needs of the community.
Upper Arlington Company donated the use of about
nine acres of land located in the heart of the
village for the district's first permanent school
building. The Upper Arlington Board of Education
placed a bond issue before its voters for the
construction of the school and to purchase the
deed to the Thompson land. It passed with 155
votes in favor and 33 votes against. The tax rate
for the bond issue was 2.49-mills, which was 1.4-mills
less than Columbus.
new building, as seen right courtesy of Norwester
1924, (now known as Jones Middle School) opened
in 1924. J.W. Jones was hired as the building
principal and the first full-time superintendent
of the district.
1939, the Barrington Road School opened
as Upper Arlington Elementary School.
district built Tremont Elementary School in 1952
to serve all the children north of Lane Avenue.
In 1955, Upper Arlington took over Perry Township
School, renaming it Fishinger Elementary. Wickliffe
Elementary was built in 1957; Windermere in 1959;
and Greensview in 1965. Hastings Middle School,
then Hastings Junior High was constructed in 1961.
Arlington High School was dedicated in 1956 with
Joseph Dorff as principal.